Take a Journey through SIEM Selection, Management and Threat Hunting via MDR
Choosing The Right SIEM Solution
Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) tools are an essential part of modern network security architecture. Not only is choosing the right solution important but properly implementing and managing the tool are critical for success. Protecting your organization from attack is not as simple as installing the hardware/software and letting it run. You must be active, diligent, and agile to keep your network secure.
“Security and risk management leaders increasingly seek SIEM solutions with capabilities that support early targeted attack detection and response. Users must balance advanced SIEM capabilities with the resources needed to run and tune the solution.” – Gartner Magic Quadrant for SIEM Dec 2018
Each SIEM tool available on the market has unique features. The following are just a few of the questions you should be asking about your existing or future SIEM solution.
- Does it utilize machine learning?
- What threat intelligence feeds and automation are used?
- What type of reports generate and post suspected security incidents?
- What are the integration capabilities?
- How will the SIEM product be deployed? Cloud? Physical?
SIEM Tools Alone Are Not Enough
Managing the SIEM data feed can be a daunting task even for smaller organizations. Multiply the number of employees with network interactions per hour and extrapolate this throughout the day, and it can reach into the tens of thousands, even for companies with less than 500 endpoints. Compound this with any customer-facing applications, and volume swiftly becomes impossible to parse manually.
This is where Managed SIEM services and Managed Security Service Providers (MSSP) come in. Rather than dedicate an internal employee to manage the SIEM tool, many organizations choose to outsource this workload to a third party.
With a third party helping manage SIEM tools, you have access to the following benefits:
- Lower Workload / Headcount – By offloading the tasks of SIEM management to a 3rd party, you reduce the number of people/hours you need to handle network security analysis appropriately.
- Use of Seasoned Security and SIEM Experts – You gain support, day one, to industry experts that can leverage past and current experiences to improve the security posture of your organization.
- Lower Cost of Ownership – Less internal / hours plus specialization for faster time to analyze and respond equals less overall expenditure for the security value chain.
SIEM Management One-Step Further
Choosing the right SIEM product is essential, and hiring an MSSP firm to help you manage the solution is a good step toward being effective. The next step toward being comprehensive and efficient is in bringing on an actual Threat Hunting / Managed Detection and Response provider to help manage or co-manage your security platform.
MDR with a true best-in-class industry-leading provider is the most effective way to secure your organization from cyber threats others might miss.
Combating the modern cyber adversary requires 24x7x365 continuous monitoring, active hunting, in-depth forensic analysis using cyber threat intel, and real-time threat detection.
Simple altering is no longer enough for many organizations. Active trained professionals using the property strategy with the right tools is now required
Having the right people, process, and technology in place for detection and response is critical to minimizing the risk of a significant breach.
Can any MSSP manage any SIEM Tool?
The short answer is…NO! Many organizations have strategic alliances with particular SIEM solutions or have developed products that they require you to implement. What this means for your organization is that you might be beholden to whatever technology or solution this provider has chosen.
What if you have already picked the SIEM tool that is right for your organization?
What if you already have one installed and what someone to step in and manage or co-manage the technology?
This is where Datashield comes in.
(Shameless plug section forthcoming)
Datashield has an MDR service that sets a new standard in the cybersecurity industry. Datashield acts as an extension of your team and rather than dictate which products a client must utilize, Datshield is SIEM agnostic and takes a true partnership and consultative approach.
Datashield delivers true MDR results regardless of your SIEM
Whether your organization has chosen Splunk, LogRhythm, RSA Netwitness, QRadar, or any of the other Gartner Magic Quadrant SIEM leaders, Datashield can support your implementation by understanding your objectives, keeping risks and costs down along with allowing for natural growth.
With Datashield MDR, you’ll experience:
- 24x7x365 Continuous Monitoring
- Automated Cyber Threat Intel integration
- Automated Report Generation
- Cross-Security Tool Orchestration
- Cyber-Resilient Platform Integration
- Real-time Customer Alerts and Notifications
- Real-Time Automated Querying for threats and Anomalies
- SIEM Management and Tuning
- Forensic Capability
- Malware Reverse Engineering
- Machine Learning and AI
- Log Rationalization
- Threat Hunting
- Full Packet Capture Capability