On December 13th, 2020, SolarWinds released a statement along with FireEye about a current and ongoing supply chain compromise surrounding the SolarWinds Orion products. This impacts SolarWinds Orion software versions 2019.4 through 2020.2.1, released between March 2020 and June 2020. SolarWinds has pushed out a hotfix that will resolve the affected product.
Solar Winds Security Advisory & Hotfix Link: https://www.solarwinds.com/securityadvisory
This was a highly sophisticated supply chain compromise that deployed a piece of malware being tracked as SUNBURST. FireEye has released several rules to detect the IOC’s in the environment. If hot fixing the affecting product is not possible, there are several other options:
- Disconnect or power down affected SolarWinds Orion Products
- Block SolarWinds hosts from communicating with external addresses until the patch can be applied.
As a precaution, Datashield recommends performing the following actions:
- Resetting all credentials used by the SolarWinds software
- Reset all admin credentials who utilized SolarWinds software
- Rebuild SolarWinds Orion hosts
We will keep you updated with any relevant information as this incident progresses. Additional links and information are below:
If your organization has utilized the SolarWinds Orion product suite or if you have any questions regarding this vulnerability, please Contact Us.